Saturday, August 18, 2007

Desperately Lost in Yuba: A Photographic Diary

Three days wandering Yuba. Yuba! Why, of all the godforsaken ghost towns in Michigan, did I choose Yuba? There are a million other towns for a blog, but I had to choose the one impossible to get out of.

Still, I've been in tougher jams before. I'll find my way out. Yuba won't be the end of ol' Jeff Richardson. ...If I'm wrong, you can put that on my tombstone.


Ah! Here's a road... with bushes growing in it. Not an encouraging sign.


Obviously this is some sort of trick to purposefully confuse out-of-towners. Do I go straight? Do I go right? Do I climb a tree? ...Well I'm not falling for it. I'm going left.


Yes, left is clearly the way. I've got a tremendous sense of direction. ...Actually, it's amazing I've been lost this long.


Well, there's downtown Yuba off in the distance - but the road ends! Damn! Looks like I'll have to retrace my steps and try to find another way.


Maybe I'll have better luck if I follow the river. As long as I don't see any toothless children playing banjos I should be okay.


Damn! Stopped in my tracks by the Yuba rapids. There's no way through. I'll have to find another route.


What's this? A natural area? The sign is so new and inviting. And there's no one around... It's almost like it was put there just for me...


Hmmm, it's been hours and this trail doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Empty field after empty field. I didn't think Yuba was this big.


Look! I see something! A sign! A sign for... trees? Trees? But there aren't any trees within 100 yards of that post. Is this some sort of sick joke? What evil is behind all this!?


Two days on this trail. The scenery never changes.

There's something impossible about this place. Unnatural. It just goes on and on with nothing in sight. This can't be! Yuba isn't endless! YUBA IS A SMALL TOWN! A GHOST TOWN! That's why I chose it!

That's why I chose it...

...Or did I? Now I can't help but wonder: did I choose this town...


...Or did this town choose me?

No comments: